Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lauren's cake with a surprise...



Last night I was reading some of my favorite blogs, when I came across something that left me mystified: Healthy Chocolate Cake with a Secret, by Lauren at Healthy Indulgences. 

What makes this cake so intriguing? ... it's made of beans. That's right, beans. And not only that, but there is no flour in this cake. And since Lauren doesn't use sugar, like my family, I couldn't resist giving this easy recipe a try.

I had dry red beans in the pantry, so I soaked them overnight. This morning I washed them well and cooked them. I followed Lauren's recipe almost exactly, only making a few minor changes. I'm out of liquid stevia, so I used 1/2 tsp of Spoonable Stevia, with 1/3 cup honey, and I used only 1/4 cup of coconut oil (and no butter). Also, I made mine a bundt, which took 40 minutes to bake at 325 degrees. 

We were all too eager to try this mysterious cake, and we were all thrilled with it. It's very much like my Chocolate Raspberry Cake in taste and texture, but a little darker and richer. And I thought there was hardly any flour in my cake! Very cool recipe, Lauren. XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Just wondering if you doubled Lauren's recipe to make the bundt cake?

    ReplyDelete